Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Water Is Magnetic



"Tides are created because the Earth and the moon are attracted to each other, just like magnets are attracted to each other. " -- Keith Cooley, astronomer, 2002

Looks like water is also magnetic.

Physics World: Magnetic effects seen in water.

Physicists in Japan have discovered that the melting point of water increases slightly in a strong magnetic field. ...

Recently, it was discovered that the near infrared spectrum and refractive index of water can be affected by a strong magnetic field. Some researchers have suggested that the magnetic field somehow strengthens hydrogen bonds, but the exact mechanism behind these results remains a mystery.

20 comments:

KV said...

OIM,

Do you know anything about the physics? do you think water is a polar molecule (long time ago, I used to know lot more about this stuff, including polymer water stuff too), and trees use this property to pump the water up, around, down, etc? Now can you see that a strong magnetic field might affect the polar molecule behavior that may show up as increased temp. Do you know that MRI provides a deep warm massage?

Man, you sicken me with your knowingly display of ignorance. You are not dumb, you just like to mess around with irrational logic (which is also a research area that affects mentally challenged, of which you show all the signs, and eating a ton of fish will help, before you decide to go on meds).

Jeffery Keown said...

Water is magnetic. At 6 teslas.

Get a fucking clue. A lot of stuff would be magnetic at 6 teslas.

OilIsMastery said...

KV,

"Do you know anything about the physics?"

If I didn't I would still be better off than believing in the dogma you believe in.

OilIsMastery said...

Jeffery,

"Now in the same 1845, the year of this triumph, Leverrier calculated also the anomaly of Mercury, and by this caused to think that the Newtonian law of gravitation may be not precisely true. Leverrier first thought of some planet moving inside the Mercurial orbit or of a possible unequal distribution of the mass in the sun. You [Einstein] have used the fact of the anomaly to prove that the space is curving in the presence of a mass. About the same time—in 1913—G. E. Hale published his paper on 'The general magnetic field of the sun' (Contr. M. Wilson Obs., #71), in which he estimated the general magnetic field of the sun as of 50 Gauss intensity. At this intensity 'under certain conditions electromagnetic forces are much stronger than gravitation.' (Alfven) The last named author in his 'cosmical Electro-dynamics' (Oxford, 1950, p. 2) shows that a hydrogen atom at the distance of the earth from the sun and moving with the earth’s orbital velocity, if ionized, is acted upon by the solar magnetic field ten thousand times stronger than by the solar gravitational field." -- Immanuel Velikovsky, cosmologist, 1952

Jeffery Keown said...

So?

50Gs = 0.005T

The water experiment was at 6 T.

6T=60000Gs

What else do you have to prove me right?

OilIsMastery said...

Jeffery,

So you agree with Velikovksy? That's a first.

imode said...

@oils explain how Immanuel Velikovsky is a cosmologist... Please provide evidence that he got a degree in cosmology or some related field. From everything I read about him he was a psychiatrist and psychoanalyst. I admit that "physics" starts with a 'p' but it's a lie to say he is a 'cosmologist'.

Just another example of throwing quotes down without any idea of what mean in relation to the questions being asked of.

You ignorance astounds me. Again, either you are a smart 13 year old or an adult who is off his medication. Which is it?

Jeffery Keown said...

Velikovsky was an idiot, as are all of his followers.

I wasn't agreeing with Velikovsky, I was pionting out how your quote didn't add wieght to your argument, the forces in the quote are far too small to have impact at all.

Try again.

OilIsMastery said...

imode,

Darwin was educated as a theologian so I guess by your definition he's not a scientist?

OilIsMastery said...

Jeffery,

"the forces in the quote are far too small to have impact at all."

Well then I guess you agree gravitation has no impact. I guess we're all happy then.

KV said...

OIM wrote: ...I would still be better off than believing in the dogma you believe in.

How easy for you! To make others beliefs as dogma, while your beliefs in stone throwing alien lord fair maidens is not! Besides, you don't know diddly about what I believe.

I hope there is a good fish store where you live, start a crash diet, you need all the fish-fat there is!

OilIsMastery said...

KV,

My beliefs aren't dogma. They are barely even beliefs. I'm willing to discard any of them instantly.

"We know that there is no absolute knowledge, that there are only theories; but we forget this. The better educated we are, the harder we believe in axioms. I asked Einstein in Berlin once how he, a trained, drilled, teaching scientist of the worst sort, a mathematician, a physicist, astronomer, had been able to make discoveries. 'How did you ever do it?,' I exclaimed, and he, understanding and smiling, gave the answer: 'By challenging an axiom.'" -- Lincoln Steffens, journalist, 1931

"Although there is overwhelming empirical evidence for earth expansion, we should always leave room for being, at least partially, wrong in our approach and in our interpretations. Our thought should be guided by the 'falsifiability' principle which, according to Karl Popper, is the 'criterion of demarcation' between what is science and what is not science. The central point of this approach is that, no theory can explain everything since we will always lag behind reality and the unfalsifiable certainty corresponds to a religious faith. Any theory that claims, as plate tectonics does, that all possible states of affairs fit in it, is not testable. It becomes testable only if some imaginable insights will refute it, partially or totally, and only if it is testable is it scientific. We should not allow the theory of earth expansion to become another 'orthodoxy.' If we are not able to produce imagination and vision to revise it or refute it ourselves, we should not denounce those who will be able to do it. On the contrary, we should prize them. In turn we should try to refute the new theory. Being 'heretics' even to our 'orthodoxy' is the only way to serve science and to approach the complexity of reality." -- Stavros T. Tassos, seismologist, September 1997

Jeffery Keown said...

The magnetic forces are too small, troll. You disbelieve gravity but have nothing to offer as a replacement.

OilIsMastery said...

Jeffery,

If the magnetic forces are too small, then the gravitational forces are nonexistent. Magnetism is stronger than gravity. All it takes is a tiny magnet to counteract the entire gravitational force of the Earth.

Jeffery Keown said...

If the magnetic forces are too small, then the gravitational forces are nonexistent. Magnetism is stronger than gravity. All it takes is a tiny magnet to counteract the entire gravitational force of the Earth.

It takes a gnat beating its wings to overcome gravity as well, but that gnat can't reach escape velocity.

On the scale we operate at, electromagnetism and gravity aren't in competetion at all. Earth's gravity far outweighs it's magnetic field strength. I've demonstrated this over a few threads and you can't see it.

Because you won't. You are too grounded in your pet theories to see any other point of view. You place too much weight on who formulated something to bother seeing whether they are right or not.

Who gives a fuck if a good idea is postulated by a creationist? I don't. You do. The idea itself should stand apart from its formulator.

OilIsMastery said...

Jeffery,

"Earth's gravity far outweighs it's magnetic field strength. I've demonstrated this over a few threads and you can't see it."

This statement is simply laughable. By how much?

"Who gives a fuck if a good idea is postulated by a creationist?"

Atheists, antisemites, and scientists seem to care if ideas are creationist or not. In fact, I seem to remember you being quite vocal about this.

Anaconda said...

Gentlemen:

I've read the comment thread.

Most of the comments don't even address the post, but are ad hominem attacks against OilIsMastery.

Why?

KV, if water is polar, which you acknowledge, then water is effected by electromagnetic energy. It's that simple.

In that sense, the post is rather unremarkable.

Perhaps, this polar property of water is responsible for why water vapor suspends in the Earth's atmosphere, and even tends to form level bottoms to cloud masses of water vapor across broad expanses in reaction to both thermodynamics, but also electromagnetism as well.

KV, apparently you like to "mess around with irrational logic", since you seem to support all the "irrational logic" spouted by "modern" astronomy.

Kewn wrote: "Velikovsky was an idiot..."

Velikovsky was many things, including wrong about various ideas, but he was no idiot.

What Velikovsky did do was emphasize the electromagnetic nature of the solar system including the Earth.

This concept that electromagnetism has a significant role in the solar system has been confirmed by in situ satellite probes so many times, by now, that to deny it is to expose a prejudice and bias that clouds one's ability to be objective about the facts.

KV wrote: "How easy for you! To make others beliefs as dogma..."

KV, apprently your beliefs, to the extent that you subscribe to the various ideas in "modern" astronomy, are dogmas.

KV wrote: "[Y]ou don't know diddly about what I believe."

You are right my knowldge of what you don't believe or do believe is limited to what you have wrote on this website.

But from what you have wrote, you subscribe to a lot of bullshit.

Or at least to mouth it -- probably because you don't have the intellectual courage to buck the "modern" astronomy "fraternity".

You see, I was in a "fraternity" once upon a time, I know how they constrain thought and punish deviates from the accepted belief system of the "fraternity".

Keown wrote: "The magnetic forces are too small, troll. You disbelieve gravity but have nothing to offer as a replacement."

You can't have "magnetic" forces without the "electro" forces, they are two sides of the same coin, per Maxwell's equations.

And the Fundamental Force of electromagnetism is 39 orders of magnitude stronger than gravity.

While gravity exists and is manifest on Earth, to discount "magnetism" in the face of the scientific evidence is to display a willful refusal to appreciate the scientific evidence.

Does your bias & prejudice against OilIsMastery lead you to such asinine conclusions?

Keown wrote: "On the scale we operate at, electromagnetism and gravity aren't in competetion at all. Earth's gravity far outweighs it's magnetic field strength. I've demonstrated this over a few threads and you can't see it."

Keown, you ignore all the technolgical inventions dependent on electromagnetism, so your statement is not well taken.

Gravity does what it does, which is significant, to say the least, but it is rather a static force. Electromagnetism is many times more dynamic than gravity.

Keown, open your eyes.

Do not let bias & prejudice blind you to the various possibilities.

The herd is infused with such bias & prejudice.

You hold the herd in contempt in regards to issues of faith -- religion -- yet, willingly take on the mentality of the herd when it comes to knowledge about our physical world.

Your seeming hatred is misdirected.

Why is it that so many of the public atheists seem so full of hatred and are so judgemental about other people's beliefs?

It is a repulsive and hypocritical attitude.

Perhaps, the old adage of watching out for the beam in thy own eye before complaining about the splinter your neighbor's eye is appropriate, here?

Jeffery Keown said...

I was referring to his quote that began "Now in the same 1845, the year..."

Generally speaking, you and Oils are right about how important EM is. But when he tries to demonstrate that gravity does not exist, I can't help but rage at him.

OilIsMastery said...

Jeffery,

Gravity exists and it's magnetic.

It's universal gravitation and mythological gravitons that don't exist.

Quantum_Flux said...

Analogies use the words "just like", but that does not mean "is" though. Such a bad interpreter OIM.